Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Hot Pepper Jelly - Monday Munchies

To say that I love canning is an understatement. I have come to be known for my gifts of the summer harvest. Some people (you know who you are) even start to put in their holiday requests around June. I make at least eight different kinds of jam, three or four varieties of pickles, various fruit butters, salsas and unique conserves and chutneys. I just can't get enough!

This year, my hot pepper yield was completely out of hand. I had so darn many to harvest that I let about half my jalapenos stay on the plant out of sheer laziness. I simply could not think of another thing to do with them after having grilled, salsa-ed, froze, canned, pickled and jellied. That is, until they turned red (and blazin' hot!) on the vine. That's when it hit me - what better for Christmas than traditional red and green in the form of hot pepper jelly? After all, it is the most requested of all my canning recipes. Check out these pics - is it not festive?




Despite owning many books with wonderfully unique and gourmet canning recipes, I defer most often to my Ball Jar recipe book for delicious recipes that never fail me. It is from there that I get my Jalapeno Jelly recipe.

I must admit, though, that my favorite hot pepper jelly recipe is the Habanero Gold from the same trusty Ball Jar recipe book. I couldn't find it on-line, but it is very similar to this one from food.com. Not only is it scrumptious, but also beautiful with flakes of red, yellow and orange floating in the golden jelly.

Are you not a gardner? Feel free to just pick some peppers up from the grocery store and GET YOUR CAN ON! What are you waiting for?

HAPPY MONDAY! If you are traveling this holiday week - TRAVEL SAFE!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...