Thursday, October 13, 2011

Bat Wreath Tutorial

For me, after-holiday clearance sale shopping is ALMOST as fun as the holiday itself.  Getting things 75% off with high hopes of phenomenal crafting projects for the next year is a high that simply cannot be matched by any other girly activity.  Ok - maybe antiquing, eating and cocktails with girlfriends rank right up there, too - but, I digress.


Some of the many things I often purchase in my Halloween clearance bonanza are plastic figures like eyeballs, skeletons, spiders and bats.  They make for great classroom goodie bags, party favors and trick-or-treat bags (to lessen the candy intake).  This year, though, I was bound and determined to craft all kinds of wreath goodness from them.  Ok - so I got around to ONE.  Sue me.  Bats won.






Here's how I did it:


I started with a styrofoam wreath base (which I spray painted black), a bag of spanish moss, a box of silver beading pins, and a bag of bats.  You can use whatever size wreath you want - 15 bats gets you one 8-inch wreath.







I used spray adhesive to coat the front and sides of the wreath base then just added a nice layer of spanish moss.


Next I started pinning the bats.  I only used one pin per bat. Pinning into one wing would cause the other to rise slightly, which was the three-dimensional kind of look I was going for. You can see the silver pin heads below.  I just used a black Sharpie at the end of the project to cover those little suckers. 


And VIOLA!  Done! 



My son loves it and wants to do another one with me.  I think we'll tackle the skeletons next...

Don't forget to check out our October Craft Party! Link up you fall wreath project or browse through the ideas already linked for more inspiration!!




Linking to:
Tip Junkie handmade projectsTodays Creative BlogSomewhat SimplePhotobucketVisit thecsiproject.com

4 comments:

Liza said...

This is so cool, I love the bats!

happylizard.blogspot.com

via whipperberry

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Love this! It's creepy and spooky and clever. Skeletons next? Gotta see it!

Cheryl @That's What Che Said said...

This is awesome! I absolutely love it! Stopping by from CSI Halloween Party! Thanks so much for sharing.

Malinda Jane Sieg said...

Way cool! my boys would LOVE having that hanging on our door!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...