Monday, January 24, 2011

Monday Munchies - Winter Canning


Who says you can't get your hands on fresh produce for an awesome canning party in the middle of winter?!?! I have one word for you...CITRUS. It is the single best thing about the winter months...glorious CITRUS is in peak season. So gather some gal pals (or guys) and get your can on!
If you are not inspired yet, just head over to White on Rice Couple and let their beautiful citrus photography just take you away. If the images don't make you long for fresh marmalades and conserves, then I don't know what will.

Here are some of the goodies I'll be canning this year...all new recipes for me. So stinkin' excited!!! I hope my Arizona citrus connection comes through for me again...you know who you are.
Because I LOVE Seville oranges and because I am always on the look out for recipes that do not require commercial pectin, I will be trying this Seville Orange Marmalade from Simply Recipes.

Once again, Coconut & Lime offers us a beautiful recipe for something unusual and show stopping. This Kiwi Mango Jam looks like heaven in a jar!

Last summer I purchased a potted dwarf kumquat tree which I am sure I will lovingly tend to for approximately three years before it ever bears any fruit for me. But when those lovely little orange gems finally arrive, I'll be ready. I will start my practice with this Kumquat Marmalade recipe from allrecipes.com.

I always like to have some unusual selections to offer to friends as gifts, which is why I have chosen this Indio Mandarinquat with Vanilla Bean Marmalade recipe from Martha. If I can actually locate the unique ingredients, she never lets me down.


Because the "vanilla" thing is REALLY appealing to me this year, I must include it in a grapefruit-related recipe as well. I just can't help myself. This Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit and Vanilla Marmalade from The Cosmic Cowgirl looks tantalizing! Maybe I'll try her honey-version as well...

So what will we be snacking on whilst we can the day away? Everything citrus inspired, of course. We'll be munching on this simple recipe for Peppered Oranges from Coconut & Lime.

...and delighting in Gin and Grapefruit Cocktails, recipe courtesy of Gourmet.com. I cannot think of a better way to celebrate the citrus season.
Cheers!


2 comments:

senovia said...

Wow, your blog is pure eye candy! I love it! I've clicked on several of the recipes and can't wait to try them out! :)

Heather Vo said...

Thank you so much, Senovia! I'm so glad you are enjoying it!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...