Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Patriotic Popsicles (and they are healthy!)

I’ve totally jumped on the popsicle bandwagon this year. I’m having so much fun experimenting with healthy popsicles that I can feed my 3 year old without guilt.


We started with simply putting some flavored yogurt in the mold and freezing. It was a hit on flavor (and even texture) but slightly boring. So I decided to add some fun but easy touches to make it a yummy red white and blue popsicle that my 3 year old would never guess was good for him. And how appropriate is it that our popsicle molds are rocket shaped?

IMG_2134
The ingredients are simple: Honey Greek Yogurt, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries. I love the health benefits of Greek yogurt over standard. And it’s tartness is perfect in frozen form.


I started by putting a blueberry in the tip of the rocket – it was a perfect size and made for a cute top. Then I layered yogurt with more blueberries, more yogurt, chopped strawberries, more yogurt, then chopped raspberries.


I think this yogurt covered face is all you need to know it was a hit.
IMG_2140
Word to the wise – make sure your berries are sweet before using them. In fact, overripe raspberries would be good. We all loved our popsicles, but the raspberries were a bit tart, and mixed with the Greek Yogurt made for a super tangy finish! Luckily I had put those at the very bottom of the popsicle (so last when I filled them) so we got to enjoy an entire popsicle before we got to it. :)


By the way, LOVE my popsicle molds. They are super cute, and perfectly functional – since the molds are separate I can easily take out just one, or even fill just one (or all six.)


These would be perfect treats for your 4th of July bbq! The kids will adore them and the other parents will thank you! :)
image
Linking to:
Tip Junkie handmade projectsTodays Creative BlogSomewhat Simple

3 comments:

Lorie said...

I love these! I have been looking for the perfect excuse to buy these fun rocket popsicle molds. I think the 4th of July is it! Especially since we are looking for ways to make it extra fun since we won't have any fireworks this year!

Carissa B said...

Great idea to use greek yogurt! I'm collecting awesome Popsicle ideas in a Popsicle board on Pinterest and I've add these to it.

I found you through the Tip me Tuesday party and am your newest blog follower. Would love a follow back if you're interested! http://creativecarissa.blogspot.com

Kim Vij said...

We had fun this weekend picking blueberries with our families and were looking for recipes. Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to try this with my daughter, she adores popsicles and I love that it's healthy! I've shared your link on our site with Little Hands that Cook with Books and Blueberries. http://theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/2012/05/30-ways-to-eat-blueberries.html

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...