Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Food Gifts in Jars

Today I’m going to share my contribution to our craft party this month! You may recall the shower I threw for my sister in law this summer. Well after the little guy was born, it was killing me that I wasn’t there to cook them up a batch of meals or bring over dinner when I knew they’d had a rough day. She did a lot of that for us when our son was born, but moved out of state a few years ago, so I couldn’t return the favor with their newborn.


So I decided to ship them an unconventional care package. I picked a bunch of gift jar food recipes and went to work. I mixed up three dried soup recipes, one blondie recipe, and then made some cookies to put in the last jar.
Food Jars-3584
I wanted to make them cute of course – a little gift to unwrap! So before I wrapped them in bubble wrap galore, I used a square of fabric over the top lid and screwed the jar lid over the top (disregard the mismatched rings – I recycled these jars from the amazing pickles my parents can every year!!). Then I printed the recipe cards and attached them to the jar with bakers twine as inspired by this post from Baked Bree.


The cookies were a little more challenging since I didn’t want it to end up one giant cookie glob upon arrival. I used some plain cupcake liners to separate the cookies and packed them in well. I hear some of the cookies came out crumbled on the other side, but they just dumped those crumbs over ice cream!


Yum! If you are interested in giving some food gifts this holiday season, here are the recipes I used. Enjoy!
Curried Lentil Soup from Food Network
Spicy Three Bean Soup from Midwest Living
Texas 2 Step Soup from Beyer Beware
Toffee Blondies from Baked Bree

The cookie recipe I used was the Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter Swirl Fudgy Cookies from Picky Palate – and they were DELISH!


I’m curious – have you ever given soup or baking mixes in a jar like this? Do you have some favorite recipes? Link them up in our craft party – I’d love to see them!
image

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...