Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Oatmeal Cream Pie Cupcakes

My husband has adored Little Debbie oatmeal cream pies since he was a child. When we were first dating I may or may not have given him some bulk warehouse size boxes for Christmas. We were broke college students and it made him happy. :)


A couple weeks ago we celebrated his 35th birthday while on vacation with my family. I wanted to recreate his favorite treat in a cupcake but couldn’t find a recipe for it.


Then it occurred to me that I could break it down into pieces. There are a lot of recipes out there for homemade versions of the treat. The creamy filling would make for a perfect cupcake frosting. And there are some amazing old fashioned oatmeal cake recipes out there. So I combined the two to make some pretty yummy Oatmeal Cream Pie Cupcakes.


Note, this is simply a combination of two wonderful recipes! But together, they make a perfect birthday celebration!
IMG_2239


Oatmeal Cream Pie Cupcakes
(adapted from recipes by Shugary Sweet and Jodi Jenson)
Ingredients (makes 2 dozen cupcakes)


Cake
  • 1-1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup butter (softened)
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg



Frosting
  • 2 tsp hot water
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 10-1/2 ounces marshmallow fluff
  • 3/4 cups shortening, butter flavor
  • 2/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Boil water and stir in oats. Let sit for 15 minutes.
3. Cream butter and brown sugar. 
4. Add eggs and vanilla
5. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Combine with butter mixture.
6. Add oatmeal.
7. Fill muffin pan liners 2/3 full. 
8. Bake 16-20 minutes.


While your cupcakes cool, make the frosting!


1. Combine water with salt until salt is dissolved.
2. In a large bowl, beat marshmallow fluff with shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Beat on high until fluffy.
3. Add in salt water and mix until combined.
4. Put mixture in piping bag and frost your cooled cupcakes!


Make sure to refrigerate any leftovers.


So I have to admit, I really like these cupcakes, even though the original oatmeal cream pies aren't my thing.  Maybe it's the extra cake in this cupcake ratio - it's delish! Are you a secret Little Debbie fan?
image

Linking to:
Tip Junkie handmade projectsTodays Creative BlogSomewhat SimpleCast Party WednesdayConfessions of a SAHM

13 comments:

Jocelyn said...

LOL! I absolutely adore little debbie's oatmeal creme pies. (i actually baked one into a cupcake at one time...the recipe for that is on my blog) I love this take on the oatmeal creme pie.

Nicole Maki said...

These look delicious as I love all things oatmeal. Yum.

Never had the Little Debbie cakes... tempting.

Pinned this :-)

Life-n-Reflection said...

pretty and delightful I'm sure! Love your blog!

Unknown said...

I haven't had an oatmeal cream in ages... yum. But these look even more yummy!

Anonymous said...

This looks yummy! Would you come by my Cast Party Wednesday Link Party tomorrow and share some of your recipes with us?
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!

Mary said...

These look delicious!! I don't even remember the last time I had an oatmeal cream pie. Yum!

Unknown said...

Adorable site. Love your design.

These look yummy! I would love for you to linkup and share this recipe on my mommy solution meme!

http://www.crystalandcomp.com/2011/07/the-mommy-club-share-your-resources-and-solutions/

Mary @ Redo 101 said...

I had to laugh - my husband buys a box of Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies to take to work each week! I am totally going to make these cupcakes for him! Thanks for sharing the recipe at Strut Your Stuff Thursday - I'm visiting all the recipes linked today and gathering some new ideas for my family.

Hugs,
Mary

Miss Kitty said...

Little Debbies! What a taste treat! Thanks for posting this updated version of a classic.

Screaming Sardine said...

Oh, I LOVE Little Debbie's Oatmeal Cookies!! Thanks for sharing this recipe, cuz I'm sure it's a lot healthier! I'll definitely be trying it soon. :)

I'd love for you to link this and any other cupcake related post you have at the month long Cupcake Link Party!

Cheers,
Tracy

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy said...

I can't wait to try these! I would love it if you would link this up to my Cupcake-a-Palooza link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/cupcake-palooza-2011.html
See you soon!
~Macy

Anonymous said...

i got so excited when i saw this recipe that i had to go out and buy the stuff to make them:) cant wait to try them:)

-Trisha

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...