Friday, December 16, 2011

Button Ornaments

My sister has been my craft inspiration for as long as I remember. When her teenaged son was little, she would make all sorts of crafts and sell them at fairs (in addition to being a full time working mom). I still have a bunch of her beautiful wares in my home, including our most favorite – a felt stuffed turkey for Thanksgiving! 


We decided that it would be fun to work together on some crafts throughout the year together. We planned to pick a source of inspiration, then each would do their own thing and compare.


Last month, I chose this button tree by Maximum Rabbit Designs (LOVE!!) as our inspiration!
image


I have to admit, I’m a bit of a lazy crafter. Or maybe just an impatient one? But the idea of filling an entire styrofoam tree with buttons sounded like a BIG time commitment. Then I remembered those cute paper flower pomander balls (check out G’s super cute ones here) and decided to make ornaments instead. I found this inspiration via Pinterest and set out making my ornaments. So easy!
IMG_4213-1
I picked up pearl tipped pins in red, pearl and white and buttons in lime green, red and pearl. Most of the buttons I had on hand, but these need a LOT of buttons so I had to supplement. Then I filled in the balls – so easy! I attached some ribbon with pins for the loops and was done! These were fast, and definitely easy to do while my preschooler was working on his own crafts!
IMG_4171-1
IMG_4170-1
IMG_4218-1
image
Linking to:
Tip Junkie handmade projectsTodays Creative BlogSomewhat SimpleVisit thecsiproject.com hbcbuttonFun Stuff Fridays

6 comments:

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

Love the red one! I did four of the pomanders... they took a lot longer than I thought they would. You did great.

Hoping over from Whipperberry
Amanda Joy
http://www.joyinthejumble.com/2011/12/photography-how-to-create-heart-shaped.html

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

These button ornaments are so stinkin' cute, why didn't I think of that? Love them, so clever.

Lindsi B said...

Your ornaments are ADORABLE! I want to run to the craft store right now and get supplies to make them! We'd love for you to share this with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2011/12/fun-stuff-fridays-4-3-weeks-long-for.html

Ruby Jean said...

Oh aren't those just as CUTE as a BUTTON... :) I LOVE that green one okay I actually love them all... Oh I am seeing one in PINK.. :) Thank you for stopping in and sharing this at http://shoprubyjean.com/2011/12/sew-crafty-tuesday-linky-2-and-highlights/

Abbie said...

This is BRILLIANT! An idea for ornaments that I've actually never seen.

I love it!

Oh, and I would love it if you'd stop by for a visit!

~Abbie (www.fivedaysfiveways.com)

P.S. I'm your newest follower : )

Craft and Fun said...

Love this idea!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...